nevasport.com

Posted: March 07, 2014 10:32PM
We have translated an inspiring reportage from our Canary Snow Team friends. It tackles about the unusual experience of skiing above 3000 meters in the 28th parallel north (even southernmost than the Atlas Mountains in Morocco). A subtropical paradise where legend has it there existed the mythic Teide ski resort.

Here you are, I hope you like it pulgar arriba

Sent from the Canary Islands in order to show the most unknown aspects of our volcanoes, and with no aim to create any polemic. We conducted a descent down the North Face of the highest mountain in the Spanish territory; in particular, the route along the corridor called the “Y” (in Spanish, "The Greek Y" )

Advised by past experiences and given the characteristics of the volcanic terrain, we used our FreeTrek Ventura Rossignol with sealskins and ski crampons, as well as the ice axes and regular crampons essential in this terrain.

We came across all kinds of snow, mainly wind packed and hard ones.

Our route also runs through the area known as The Bastion. An obstacle-free slope flanked by black lava flows.

We left The Bastion traversing in search of the Y Corridor.

Views to the North Coast of Tenerife with La Fortaleza Mountain (The Fortress) in the foreground

We have already entered the corridor with a complicated and hard wind-pack snow.

With this report we want to show some of the conditions and hazards one can find in our volcanoes ... We consider ourselves Mother Nature lovers and ski mountaineering enthusiasts in these latitudes. We are aware of many follies sometimes are made here, so we would like these photos to show, whosoever gets here, where they venture

At this point the quality of the snow begins to improve

And now is time to ski the best snow of the day through snow brooms

A view of the corridor with plenty of snow at the bottom.

We even got to ski through pines.

In total we have descended a 2.000 meters vertical drop, between 3.500 and 1.500.

Greetings to all Nevasport family! How lucky we are to live here!

The Canary Snow Team 2014

Adapted and posted by

Solo sé que Sócrates no sabía nada, o algo así era
Posted: March 08, 2014 01:59AM
Beautiful pictures from Teide doing backcountry skiboarding, when there is a lack of snow, I believe those skiboards work very well. Talking about subtropical skiing Ecuador is also a very interesting place to make mountaneering skiing, due to the high altitude you can do all year round, that is amazing if you consider that Ecuador is located at latitude zero!

Foro Skiboard, el foro del material limitado
Posted: March 08, 2014 09:44AM
Latitud Cero
Beautiful pictures from Teide doing backcountry skiboarding, when there is a lack of snow, I believe those skiboards work very well. Talking about subtropical skiing Ecuador is also a very interesting place to make mountaneering skiing, due to the high altitude you can do all year round, that is amazing if you consider that Ecuador is located at latitude zero!

sorprendidosorprendidosorprendidosorprendido Awesome!

Solo sé que Sócrates no sabía nada, o algo así era
Posted: March 11, 2014 05:11PM
This is fucking great ! pulgar arriba

Solo aquel que haya comido ajo nos puede dar unas palabras de aliento

Ser vlogger es duro, pero colonizar Narnia a lomos de una minipimer lo es más. Con todo, ambas cosas intento hacer.
Yo hago esquí extremo : voy de extremo a extremo de la pista
Los caminos del esquí son inescrotables ...
Posted: March 11, 2014 06:31PM
it is a nice report. The mountains and the nature and the spring snow is great. And skiing in the sun. I do now start skiing off pists often and I realy enjoy the spring conditions when the snow gets softer and finding the different tipes of snow. My next step will be mountain ski with sealskins.
Have fun and enjoy skiing. pulgar arribapulgar arribapulgar arriba I have been in Tenerife but on the beach, not at the Teide skiing. Good report pulgar arribapulgar arriba

_ A esquiar que el món s'acaba !!
Posted: March 24, 2014 09:49PM
Pretty cool!
Posted: September 25, 2014 10:37PM
Just fantastic, Carolo, it must be a unique experience.

Socorro
Posted: November 26, 2014 12:27PM
Outstanding! Never thought it could be possible. Thanks for sharing pulgar arriba
Posted: December 19, 2018 10:49AM
Aplausos
Escribe tu respuesta

AVISO: La IP de los usuarios queda registrada. Los comentarios aquí publicados no reflejan de ningún modo la opinión de nevasport.com. Esta web se reserva el derecho a eliminar los mensajes que no considere apropiados para este contenido. Cualquier comentario ofensivo será eliminado sin previo aviso.