El final del siglo XIX fue también la época en que muchos montañeros, sobretodo ingleses y alemanes, empezaron a explotar los Dolomitas de Brenta, guiados por los primeros guías alpinos locales.
Madonna di Campiglio, settled in a valley between the Brenta Dolomites and the Adamello-Presanella glaciers, at an altitude of 1550 m was launched out on the touristic scene in 1875, when the construction of the road connecting the villages of the high Rendena valley with Pinzolo and Madonna di Campiglio was started and allowed its transformation into a very stylish resort for the Austrian and Central European aristocracy, such as Princess Sissi and the Emperor Franz Josef himself.
The end of the 19th century is also the time when numerous mountain-climbers, mostly English and German, began exploring the Brenta Dolomites, led by the first local alpine guides.
The Ski-lifts Company of Madonna di Campiglio was founded in 1947, and the first ski-lift was built in 1948, a chair-lift connecting Madonna di Campiglio to Mount Spinale. During the 1950’s the 5 Laghi cable-car and some drag-lifts were installed.
Today, Madonna di Campiglio is one of the best and most famous ski resorts of Italy.